Monday, July 26, 2010

Finding My Feet

So the last two days have been maddening... Just trying to get settled in and set up all of those annoying loose-ends that we tend to take for granted in the US. This morning I went grocery shopping with some newfound buddies and on our way (it's like a 15 minute walk) we crossed a street and an angry, bald white man in a van was turning onto the street we were walking along. As we finish crossing, the angry, bald white man attempts to drive up on the curb after us and then as he drives away, flips us off and gesticulates in a muted manner behind his closed windows. I would hate to see what happens when we actually J-walk...

Today also involved getting a student ID, getting a bus pass, and opening bank account. The teller at the bank was really nice on account of the fact that she reminded us to ithdraw money for when we go out to the pubs tomorrow (I guess all the Aussies like to get drunk on Tuesdays here for some reason.) Also I'm working on filing a tax number so that I can work and get moneys (minimum wage here is 15.00 an hour). That explains why everything is soo expensive! I thought it was all good when the exchange rate with the US was the same. But it turns out that the standard of living here it almost double as it is in the states! In addition, I registered for classes today... And I only have class 2 days a week. Chee-yayuh!

By the way, fuck those damn goat birds. Sorry for the lack of pictures this time, I only managed to snag a quick one of the drive through liquor store for Ian, who I miss dearly.

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! Have you set up any list of goals for the trip yet? Ooh wee, I can't believe how expensive everything is! Get that tax number and make that moneyz. ;-)

    I just read up on the Wiki page for Perth and I got really excited!! Please go to the Perth Cultural Centre buildings and tell all about it!! The Maritime Museum looks like it could be the Milwaukee Art Museum's baby brother! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what 15 dollars an hour, i would love to work there! im glad you are enjoying your experience thus far, keep writing and ill keep reading. stay safe!

    ReplyDelete