Sunday, August 1, 2010

Trip to Denmark

I have just returned from one of the most amazing weekends of my life. I don't even know where to begin so I guess the beginning makes sense. Friday morning our whole CIEE group, I think there are about 18 of us, piled on the most uncomfortable bus at 6.30 in the motherfucking morning and took off for Denmark, which is one of the most southwestern cities in Australia. About 3 hours in, we stopped in Kojonup at the Kodja Place. It was an informational center illustrating the evolution of two Western Australian societies here: the Noongar, or native people and the Wadjela or "White fellows" as we are called here and how they grew together through time. Our tour guide was a Noongar elder by the name of Jack. He took us through the tour very quickly and then made us some "Billy Tea" around the fire which was quite scrumptious. After, we walked around the rose gardens (not in bloom) and Jack followed us around and told us some amazing stories. As he talked and we listened I realized how much he reminded me of my Grandfather. How he could use the power of story to take you out of this world entirely and put into the one he created. He was also a complete jokester and made us all laugh ceaselessly. Man, I really miss my gramps sometimes...

After that we dropped our stuff off at our cabin, which was awesome by the way, we headed down to the South Ocean where we swam in Greens Pool. It is a little inlet protected from the raging surf by a series of rocks that were amazing to climb on. The clouds were patchy and as a rainstorm left, a double rainbow appeared end to end right above where we were swimming. At that moment, my breath shortened and I knew he was there. I let Pawp's spirit wash over me like the sound of the surf through my eardrums. I haven't felt him that strongly since the day he died.

Then we climbed back on the uncomfortable bus bus and went to pet kangaroo's and koala's and all other kinds of fuzzy shit. I got sexually assaulted by an Emu. That was an experience.

The next day it was up at 7.30 for a four mile hike up one of the small mountains led by the owner of the cabin, Iliya. We hiked at a rather breakneck pace (Iliya was really crackin' the whip) through a temperate rainforest full of gumtrees bleeding sap and shedding bark. At certain points, there were rather large rock scrambles and we would get tot the top of one and find the view incredible! Once we reached the top of the mountain, it was rather amazing. The best view I have ever seen in my life. Hands down. I would have liked to spend another 3-4 hours there just gazing off into the distance watching the earth creak and sway with the passage of time.

After a brief lunch and power nap back at the cabin we drove down to the Valley of the Giants which is home to the world's third largest tree, the Tingle. We went on a treetop walk through the canopy of the tingles that was built so people could still see the giant trees without eroding their shallow root systems by walking on the ground. Soo we went on a treck that would through the tops of these trees on a catwalk made of galvanized steel that bounced while we walked on it a couple of hundred feet in the air. Shit was nuts! We saw good ol' grandma tingle, who is a whopping 450 years old! she kinda looked wrinkly actually. And I don't know exactly how trees can be hers, but it's cool.

All in all, the weekend was truly amazing, something that definitely changed my life and renewed my belief in the power of nature's awe inspiring beauty to be a catalyst for that change. As this journey goes on, I can't wait to see more and I'll definitely have my camera with me to share what I can of the experience. If you wanna see pics from this trip, check my facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=244644&id=676896404

until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mikey! Dad Here.. Sounds like a great trip, Ilove the canopy walk, was it creaky? Holden and I had a great time on the Pine Ridge Reservation and it sounds as though our experiences were similar to yours.. Mother Earth or Turtle Island as the Lakota say, is close to our spirit and holds us on her back. Yes Paw Paw is with us and his stories come through in those we meet and that we see.. the rain bows and the blowing prarie grasses.. listen and give thanks for all that is around for we are all related "Mitakuye Oyasin"

    ReplyDelete